Let us guide you on some unique ways to hang frame canvas on the wall. We’ve provided 10 simple methods of How To Hang Canvas Panels On The Wall here in this piece.
There are different methods of hanging canvas panel on the wall. However, the type of wall and the size or pattern of such canvases should be clearly examined so as to avoid unnecessary mistakes or problems. Before going deep into the methods of hanging canvas panel on the wall, we need to take good note of the following things;
- Basic tools or materials such as Wall, protector pads, hammer, Drill, screw drivers, tape measure, pencil, stud finder, pliers, spirit level, etc should be made available so as to make the whole process of hanging a canvas panel easy and time-saving. Moreso, a step stool or ladder could also be made available if the desired place to hang the canvas is not on the eye level.
- Decide on which spot of the wall is suitable to hang your canvas panel.
- Take the appropriate measurement of your desired artwork or canvas panel.
- Put on your hand gloves to safeguard your hands from getting hurt especially when using a hammer.
Once you have completely satisfied your preparatory stage, you are good to go. There are different methods of hanging canvas panel on the wall and they include Nails, Saw tooth Bracket, Eye hooks, J-hooks, Adhesive strips, Clipboards, metal hinge clips, Thumb tacks, D rings, Skirt and hangers, and many more.10 different methods or ways of hanging canvas panels will be discussed below.
Table of Contents
This is by far one of the easiest methods of hanging canvas panels on the wall. It does not take much time. Nails are suitable for small or medium-lightweight canvas. Hanging heavy canvases on the wall using nails is not a good idea. However, it is important to measure the size of the canvas panel so as to decide the size nails to be used. For instance, small nails are suitable for 8 × 10 canvas. The steps to get this done using nails will be outlined below;
- Make available your necessary tools such as nails, hammer, pencil and tape measure
- Clearly locate the place you want to hang your canvas panel on the wall with a pencil
- Use your hammer to insert the nail into the wall in an upright position. Make sure you don’t insert the entire nail into the wall. 1/3 of the nail should be out so as to provide a place for the canvas panel to rest on.
- Hang the canvas panel on the nail. Make sure the nail is clearly placed in between the canvas panel bar.
2. Adhesive Strips
This is also an amazing method used in hanging canvas panel on the wall. Most people prefer this method because of the minimal damage it inflicts on the wall. It is comfortable and easy to use since there is no need to use mechanical fasteners like screw driver, hammer, or drills to get canvas panel hanged on the wall. All you need is the adhesive strips to get the work done. It is necessary to know the size of your canvas panel so as to get the required adhesive strips. Here are the following tips or ways to hang canvas panel with adhesive strips;
- Get your adhesive strips ready and ensure they are in good condition
- Clean the wall and the surface of the canvas panel with alcohol, not water. Leave it to dry for some minutes
- Take your pencil and draw a straight line on the wall. The line must correlate with the size of the canvas
- Remove the adhesive strips from its liner and carefully place it on each corner of the canvas panel. Then, place the remaining adhesive strips on each corner of the line drawn on the wall.
- Press each strip on the wall for 30 sec. Then, wait for 1 hour for the adhesive to build
- Carefully place the canvas panel on the wall. Make sure it is placed correctly on the adhesive strips located on the wall. Press firmly to ensure that It holds together.
There are limitations to the use of adhesive strips. Surfaces like painted walls, laminates, metal, concrete, glass, time, painted wall, painted or washed wood are suitable for the use of adhesive strips. However, it is not suitable to use adhesive strips to hang canvas panel on surfaces like brick, fabric, textured walls, and other rough stick surfaces.
J hooks is one of the easiest methods to hang canvas panel on the wall. It is typically used for heavyweight canvases. However, it can also be used for smaller canvases as well. The size of the canvas panel will determine the number of hooks and nails to be used. Moreso, the hooks come in different sizes. Here are steps to get your canvas panel hanged on the wall with j hooks;
- Make available your necessary tools such as hooks, nails, and hammer.
- Measure and mark the points to place the j hooks on the wall. This should be done with a pencil. However, the number of j hooks used will determine the points to mark.
- Place the j hooks on the points marked on the wall. Then, carefully use a hammer to insert the nail in the hooks. This should be done with utmost care.
- Position your canvas panel on the hook. Make sure it is balanced and not bent.
4. Eye Hooks
Eye hooks are suitable for either small or medium canvas panels. Hanging a canvas panel using this method is easy and comfortable. It is not to be used on a glass surface. The process might be a bit tedious and hectic but it guarantees your canvas panel a sense of stability and durability. Here are the tips or ways to get your canvas panel hanged on the wall using Eye hooks:
- Make available your necessary tools such as drill or scew, nails, 2 eye hooks, and wire
- Use your pencil to mark the points at which the nail will be placed on the wall
- Carefully screw or drill the eye hooks on each side of the canvas panel, about 5 inches from the top.
- Insert the art wire in between the hooks. Make sure there is space in between the hooks
- Use the hammer to insert the nail in the wall. This should be accurate with the point marked in the wall. You can also use a hook if you don’t like nails.
5. Saw Tooth Brackets Or Hangers
Saw tooth brackets are one of the popular ways of hanging canvas panels on the wall. They are known for their simplicity. It is important to check the label of saw tooth brackets to make sure it correlates with the weight or size of the desired canvas panel. The ways to hang canvas panel with saw tooth brackets on the wall will be outlined below;
- Make available your necessary tools or materials such as saw tooth bracket or hanger, screws or nails, measuring tape or ruler and hammer
- Measure the top back frame of the canvas panel and find the center point. Do the same thing with the saw tooth brackets and make sure it aligns together. There will be no need to locate the center of the saw tooth brackets already with a center mark.
- Place the saw tooth brackets at the center back of the canvas panel. Then, gently hammer the nails in the holes on the saw tooth brackets. If the saw tooth brackets come with screws, then you will need a drill for that purpose.
- Place a nail into the wall and then carefully hang your canvas panel with saw tooth brackets on it.
- You can also use saw tooth hooks if you do not like nails. Saw tooth hooks comes with holes on it. This will require one to hammer in the nails through the holes on the wall. This will make the saw tooth bracket or a hanger to sit comfortably on the saw tooth hooks nails.
It is however advisable to use more than two saw tooth brackets in order to ensure the stability of the canvas panel on the wall.
6. D Rings
D ring is another great way or method of hanging canvas panels on the wall. They come in the form of a ring but shaped as letter “D”. D rings are supported by a plate with screw holes. It is important to know the size of the canvas panel as this will determine the kind of D rings and plate screw holes to be used. Small-sized canvas typically uses D ring with one screw hole while medium canvas uses two screw holes. Here are the following tips or ways to your hang canvas panel with D rings;
- Make available your necessary tools such as D rings with the plate screw hole, measuring tape, pencil, screwdriver, hammer, wire cutter, pliers, picture wire or cord, picture hooks, and steel pins.
- Measure one third from the top on each side of the canvas panel and then mark it with a pencil.
- Gently, place the D rings with screw hole on the point marked on both sides. Specifically, the screw hole should be placed on the marked point on the frame sides. Then, screw in the nails through the holes on the frame. Do that for the other side.
- Measure the wire carefully. Measurement depends on the size of the Canvas panel
- String in the picture wire or cord between the D rings and tighten it. Use your wire cutter if necessary.
- Measure one or two inches below the top of the canvas panel and mark it with a pencil
- Carefully place the picture hook on the mark point and then hammer in the steel pins through the holes on the wall.
- Hang your canvas panel with wire or cord over the picture hook.
7. Press In Hooks
Press in hooks is also used to hang canvas panel on the wall. The steps to get it done are easy and straightforward. The hook is a curved piece of metal or plastics used for different things. Press in hooks are made of different materials and they also come in different forms. Some of these press in hooks include Hercules hooks, Super hooks, Gorilla hooks, etc. Here are the following tips or ways to hang canvas panel with press in hooks;
- Make available your necessary tools such as the hook to be used, the measuring tape, or and pencil. This method does not require a lot of tools to get the work done
- Measure and mark the place to hang your canvas panel on the wall. Importantly, this method is only suitable for drywall
- Insert the long tapered end of the hook through the wall. Make sure the head hook is outside the drywall in an upright position so as to secure the stability of the canvas panel
- Hang your canvas panel on the hook. However, it is advisable to measure the size of the desired canvas panel to know the number of hooks to be used.
8. Adhesive Hook Or Nails
This method is similar to adhesive strips. The only difference is the use of adhesive hooks and nails with adhesive tape as distinct from the use of only adhesive strips alone. However, the weight of the desired canvas panel will determine the size, type, or a number of adhesive hangers to be used. The following steps need to be noted to get work done;
- Mark the place you want to hang your canvas panel on the wall with a pencil
- Make available your necessary tools such as pencil and adhesive nails or hooks
- Clean the wall surface with isopropyl alcohol
- Make available the adhesive hook or nails and affix the adhesive strips on it. There might be no need for this as some adhesive hook or nails come with adhesive strips on it.
- Remove the liner from the adhesive hook or nail and gently affix it on the wall. Press firmly for about 30 seconds
- Wait for an hour to let the adhesive hook or nails dry.
- Carefully place your canvas panel on the adhesive hook or nails
Thumbtacks are short flat-headed pin used in fastening paper or artwork canvas on wall or any other surface usually with the use of one’s thumb. They are also called pushpins. They are often used on small or lightweight canvases. This is one of the easiest methods of hanging canvas panel on the wall. Here are the following tips to note as regards using thumbtacks to hang canvas panel on the wall;
- You only need a pencil and thumb tacks for this purpose. Ideally, two thumb tacks are sufficient for lightweight canvases.
- Use your pencil to draw a straight line on which the tacks or pins will be placed on the wall
- Affix the tacks on each corner of the canvas panel. Make use the tacks inserted penetrates the wall
This is by far one of the easiest methods to hang canvas panel on the wall. A clip is a small object usually made from metal and steel and particularly helps in holding things together. Clips generally are known for the support they offer to anything placed on the wall. This method is specifically suitable for large canvases. Here are the following tips or ways to get your canvas panel hanged on the wall using metal hinge clips;
- Make available your necessary tools or materials such as metal hinge clips, nails or thumb tacks, hammer and pencil
- Mark the area you want to hang your canvas panel with a pencil
- Place the metal hinge clips on each top corner of the canvas panel
- Insert your nail or thumb tacks through the hole on the metal hinge clips. Check carefully to make sure it penetrates the wall. Make sure it falls on the line you marked. Heavier canvases might require you to use more than one metal hinge clip.
In conclusion, canvases are creative design works that add beauty to your home. Follow the aforementioned methods and get the work done.
266 total views, 2 views today