How To Run Fallout 3 On Windows 10
A lot of Fallout 3 gamers are facing the perplexing issues of running the RPG game on Windows 10. There are reasons that could hitch the game from working on Windows 10, which can be due to an incompatible operating system version.
Whats Fallout 3 About?
Table of Contents
When Fallout 3 makes the wave over the last decade, you may be wondering what this is all about. Before getting on, let’s know more about this game.
Fallout 3 is an action role-playing open world video game that was developed by Bethesda Game Studios in October 2008. The invention of this game makes the third major installment in the Fallout series. The game is much intrigued by lots of gamers who greatly admire the game’s 3D graphics and real-time combat, which replaces the 2D isometric graphics and turn-based combat of previous Fallout series. A lot of PC users have been using Fallout 3 since its inception. The game specifically works on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.
Fallout 3 has been rated by a lot of its users, nonetheless. there have been some queries on how the game would work on Windows other than Windows 7 which it was hosted. An answer will be beneath how to run the game on Windows 10.
How To Run Fallout 3 On Windows 10
If peradventure Fallout 3 is not working on the newest version of Windows like W10, then it’s no big issue. That being the case, many methods and ways to make Fallout 3 work on Windows 10 have been discovered, which we will do justice by elaborating it here. The following are some of the most effective ways which have been tested to give a solution to issues of Fallout 3 not working on your new PC window:
Run On Compactibility Mode
Up until now, you should know that Fallout 3 game is specified for Windows 7 and might not work correctly for newer versions. If you are using the version that is unspecified, then you should get an error message on launching the app. This is a universal message that people get due to incompatible settings. But that is not the end of the road, you will need to fix it by applying any of the following ways:
- First, got to your dextop and open the folder named ‘fallout3’.
- Navigate to ‘FalloutLauncher‘ and right-click it.
- There you will be able to access the ‘Properties’ and switch to the ‘compatibility’ tab.
- When that is done, you’ll see a box to the left which reads ‘ Run this program in compatibility mode’, click and check on it.
- This will be followed by a drop-down list being displayed, select ‘Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)’ from the list.
- Also, check on ‘Run this program as an administrator‘ box.
- You’re done! Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘ok.’
Next, you will have to repeat the same process for two more files:
Just right-click ‘Fallout3.exe‘ icon and go to its properties, follow the above steps, and be sure to enable the compatibility mode to ‘ Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)‘.
When you are done with that, do the last task by right-clicking ‘Fallout 3 – Guardians of the eating kit‘ and open its properties, and follow what you do in the above guide. When okay, remember to save settings, and go your way to run your game on compactibility mode using W10.
Running The Game As an Administrator
When you launch your Fallout 3 game on Window 10, you may have to enable the administrative fuctions so as to avoid crashes on the game. This is pretty simple, and all you have to do is to make sure that your Window always runs the game with administrative privileges whenever you launch it. To work this out, you need to locate your Steam folder and locate the game file. The following is an elaborated step by step guide to get it done:
- Open your PC files, precisely the partition of your computer’s hard drive that Windows is installed on.
- Go to Steam folder and locate the Fallout 3 folder. Here is the default location of the Fallout 3 folder: X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common \Fallout 3 goty or X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3.
- You should see the EXE file, right-click on it to show the game data.
- Click on Properties.
- Move to the Compatibility tab and enable the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ option by clicking or checking the checkbox located directly beside it.
- Finally, click the Apply button and click on OK.
You’re done! Launch the game. If all was set, then the game should work on your Window 10.
Install Games for Windows Live Application Software
In some cases, you may have to install the Games for Windows Live application on your Windows 10 computer for Fallout 3 to run smoothly. This is no much task as you will have to download and install the Games for Windows Live application, which is rather no much big deal. Here is how to get it done:
- Download the installer for Games for Windows Live (AKA GFWL).
- When downloaded, open it and navigate to the directory you saved it in and double-click on it to launch it.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and install the Games for Windows Live Software on your computer.
- Once the setup is complete, turn on the internet and open the app. The application will automatically download the necessary files.
When done, close the files and launch your Fallout 3 app.
Edit The Falloutprefs.ini File
If the above guides didn’t work, you may have to take a gander on doing yet another method to get the game work on your Window 10. This will be by modifying the falloutprefs.ini file. Follow these steps to get it done:
- Go to your window and locate the directory Documents > Games > Fallout 3.
- Find the falloutprefs.ini file and right-click it.
- Click on ‘Open With’ and a drop-down should display, then select ‘Notepad.’
- Press the hotkey ‘CTRL + F‘ and look for where you see: bUseThreadedAI=0
- In notepad editor, change the value of ‘0’ and include ‘1’.
- Copy the code: bUseThreadedAI=1 from here and paste it at the end of the falloutprefs.ini file.
- When done with these processes, save the file and launch Fallout
The game should be working now.
Making Fallout 3 to work on Windows 10 should not be an issue. If you follow the steps that were elaborated in this write-up you will be playing the game on your computer. To give you a practical view, we have included pictorial illustrations on how to get it done.