Acoustics foams are useful in noise control and reduction. You can attach them to your doors, walls ceilings, and other parts of your apartment or studio to reduce and control noise, echoes, and vibration. The acoustic foam can be installed in different ways; either by nailing it, using foam tack or even by using an adhesive spray. But these methods damages your wall and if you are staying in a rented apartment where the owner is not okay with you damaging the way then you are in a bit of a fix. Regardless there is a way to hang the acoustic foam to your wall without you damaging it and that’s exactly what I will be teaching you today in this blog post so join me.
The acoustic foam can be installed without causing any damage to your wall through the use of command strips. The steps to use this method are very simple and I will be showing you the step-by-step instructions to follow to get your acoustic foam up for use.
How To Hang Acoustic Foam Using Command Strips
Table of Contents
There are two stages in this method and each of those stages are essential to the successful installation of your acoustic foam. So follow these laid down steps;
STAGE 1: Measuring and Cutting the Acoustic Foam
- Measure the wall and the foam panel to be installed: measure the area you intend to cover with the foam and record it on paper. On the floor lay the foam panel side by side and measure them also, this is to give you an idea of how much foam will cover the area you intend to cover.
- Cut the foam panel neatly: When cutting the excess foam from your measurements, I will advise that you do that using an electric knife to obtain a neat edge. Move the electric knife down each edge of the panel carefully to cut it to measurement.
- Weep the wall with rubbing alcohol: With the use of a clean cloth or rag soaked in rubbing alcohol to weep off the dirt from the wall area where the foam is o be installed. The clean wall will make sticking the foam panel easier. Avoid using regular household cleaners as it will reduce the stickiness of the foam.
- Map out an outline of the foam panel on the wall: According to your measurements at each corner of the installation area mark X. After which you draw a straight line at the edges, your foam plane will lie, as this will help you maintain a straight line while putting up the foam panel. You can make use of a level to do this, to be sure the line is straight.
STAGE 2: Hanging Foam Without Damaging the Wall
- Use an adhesive spray to spray the backside of the foam pieces: Lay the foam panels on the floor, bumpy side down. In a back-and-forth motion spray the back of the panel, and while doing that don’t spray the edges of the foam in case you have to cut it again. But most foam panel comes with an adhesive back and if the one you got is one of those then you can skip this step.
- Press the adhesive side of the foam down on a piece of cardboard: Sticking the foam plane to cardboard is because the command strips will stick better to the cardboard. For 30 seconds press and hold the foam against the cardboard. And the advantage of this is that the use of cardboard will prevent damage to your wall and the foam will still be reusable.
- Let the glue dry: For the next one or two hours put the foam that you had stocked to the cardboard in a ventilated area to dry properly. Don’t let the foam shift around on the cardboard, hold it firm. You can quicken the drying process by putting the foam in front of the fan or window.
- Trim off the excess cardboard around the foam panel: After properly drying the foam, use your scissors and trim along the edge of the cardboard close enough to the foam panels. When you look at the bumpy side of the foam panels, make sure that the cardboard is not visible.
- On the backside of the panel put the command strips: At each corner of the foam, panel remove the paper tab on the command strips then place it there and press for 10 seconds to ensure that it sticks properly to the cardboard. Make sure it is stuck to the cardboard and not the foam.
- Place the acoustic foam on the wall: Remove the other paper tab on the other side of the command strips and put them up carefully in the mapped-out area, previously drawn one after the other. While doing so press it for 30 seconds, to secure it in place.
If you have followed these steps to this point then you have successfully installed your acoustic foam and also safe your wall from damage. You can now enjoy your sound or quiet whichever was your desire.AD! Click here to Get the Highest Paying Work from Home Jobs in USA
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.